ALL NEWSHIPS NEXT-DAY
The Kubuntu Focus Team announces the availability of the fourth-generation M2 Linux mobile workstation. This model enjoys substantial improvements in almost every feature like a QHD screen, 2MP webcam, better speakers, a 12th-generation i7 CPU, and unmatched Nvidia mobile GPUs. All models are in-stock and begin shipping the week of 09 May 2022.
The trim-and-light M2 laptop is a superb choice for anyone looking for the best out-of-the-box Linux experience with the most powerful mobile hardware. Customers include ML scientists, developers, and creators. The many improvements over the last generation include:
GPU choices include the Nvidia RTX 3060, 3070 Ti, or 3080 Ti with up to 16 GB of VRAM. Customers can skip the dongles with plenty of high-speed ports and the ability to drive 4 external 4k displays with standard cables.
All Focus systems save you time every day with carefully curated software, helpful tools, guided solutions specifically for your hardware, and unmatched Linux-first support. Call us at the number at the bottom of this page to learn more.
The M2 GEN 4 makes quick work of the most demanding tasks and outperforms nearly all trim-and-light laptops. Run GPU-accelerated AI immediately with the included Deep Learning Suite four times faster than the M1 Max. Render Blender scenes 10x faster with NVIDIA RTX Optix, or develop on ROS2. All with unmatched Linux-first optimizations and support.
Blaze through single- and multicore jobs like never before. The 14-core, 20-thread “Alder Lake” i7-12700H CPU, combined with superior cooling and high-quality 3200 MHz RAM, provides capabilities few mobile (or even desktop) systems can match.
Get amazing performance and features with NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX Ampere™ graphics. Ray-tracing and tensor cores provide cutting-edge mobile performance for machine learning, editing video, gaming, rendering, and many other tasks. And these are the full-performance RTX 3060, RTX 3070 Ti, and RTX 3080 Ti models with performance besting most desktop systems.
Each system also has an integrated GPU to conserve power and video RAM when you need it. The Intel Iris Xe® 96 EU iGPU has 2.5x the performance of the previous generation.
Enjoy simple beauty without sacrificing performance. All exterior surfaces are an aluminum alloy with a resin screen bezel and excellent build quality. Cooling is exceptional, wireless and bluetooth use the latest and fastest standards, and high-speed ports are plentiful. The keyboard and clickpad are a joy to use, and the QHD screen is sharp, bright, and colorful.
Whether you’re at home, at work, or on the road, connect however you need using the latest Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or Bluetooth. Communicating has never been faster or easier.
The Thunderbolt 4 port empowers you to use high-bandwidth peripherals that were previously unthinkable with a laptop. For example, run deep learning or rendering tasks on an external GPU.
Get all the high-speed ports you need without expensive dongles or docks. For example, you can connect multiple 4K monitors, use an eGPU, use a wireless mouse and keyboard, charge and debug a phone, AND read a camera SD card, all at the same time.
Light your keys with one of 65,536 colors at any levels of intensity. Type quickly and accurately with reliable scissor mechanism with 4 mm of travel. Use 2- and 3-finger gestures to tap, scroll, and coast effortlessly through documents with the highly configurable Synaptics-compatible clickpad.
Tackle high-speed games and simulations on a 15.6-inch, 100% DCI-P3 color IPS display with up to 165 Hz  refresh rate and a 5ms response time. Entertain your friends with wide viewing angles and high dynamic range stereo speakers. Join meetings with near-zero setup thanks to the high-quality, integrated noise-canceling microphones and the crisp, 2MP FHD 1080p webcam.
We benchmark and optimize Focus systems extensively for compatibility and performance. We hope you find the details below helpful when assessing the capabilities of the M2. We encourage you to compare the results with your device or others.
Start running GPU-accelerated AI immediately with the Focus Deep Learning Suite. Click a button to install and test Anaconda, TensorFlow GPU, PyTorch GPU, Jupyter Notebook GPU, and Theano. We ensure CUDA, cuDNN, and TensorRT packages you need are tested and then easily updated through the software package system.
Run TensorFlow pipelines up to 30 times faster than popular Unix® laptops that do not offer NVIDIA RTX yet cost far more. Develop with industry-standard PyCharm IDE using the expertly packaged JetBrains Toolbox and desktop integration.
|Results||RTX 3080 Ti||RTX 3070 Ti||RTX 3060 ||Titan XP W10|
|Video RAM||16 GB||8 GB||6 GB||12 GB|
The superior cooling and the high-quality 3200 MHz RAM of the M2 allow the 6 Performance-cores, 8 Efficiency-cores, and 20-thread “Alder Lake” i7-12700H CPU to really stretch its legs. Even compared with other systems running the same CPU, the performance is outstanding.
|Generation||Processor||Test||Single Core||Multi Core|
|M2 GEN 4||i7-12700H||Geekbench5||1,893||12,753|
|M2 GEN 3||i7-11800H||Geekbench5||1,690||10,410|
|M2 GEN 2||i7-10870H||Geekbench5||1,422||8,121|
Few laptops have the graphical capabilities of the Focus M2. Even the RTX 3060 runs most of the games tested well over 60 FPS on High or Ultra settings. The 8 GB 3070 Ti and the 16 GB 3080 Ti really shine when you require more video RAM for Deep Learning, 4K games and simulations, video editing, or 3D rendering.
|Benchmark [5,6]||RTX 3080 Ti||RTX 3070 Ti||RTX 3060|
The RTX 3080 Ti of the Focus M2 is faster than 90% of devices tested including proprietary Unix® laptops that cost twice as much. The OptiX backend is available only with NVIDIA RTX GPUs and can be much faster than CUDA, OpenCL, or CPU rendering.
|RTX 3080 Ti||RTX 3070 Ti||RTX 3060|
|Video RAM||16 GB||8 GB||6 GB|
We try to provide all the details you need to decide if the M2 GEN 4 is right for you. If you have any questions, please call 844-536-2871 or write TellMeMore@kfocus.org.
|OS and SOFTWARE|
● Kubuntu 22.04 LTS with KDE 5.24 LTS
● Kubuntu Focus Tools
● Click-to-launch Curated Apps
● Guided enable repositories
● Easy enhancements and new features through daily updates
● Kernels and Video drivers are curated to ensure HW and library compatibility
● 15.6” (396 mm) QHD IPS
● 2560 x 1440 Resolution
● 165 Hz Refresh Rate (2.75x Standard)
● Anti-Glare Coating (Matte)
● 100% DCI-P3 Color
● Viewing angles of > 150/150/150°
● Connect up to 5 concurrent displays: integrated QHD and four external 4k monitors using USB-C, Thunderbolt, mDP, and HDMI.
● 12th-Generation Intel “Alder Lake” i7-12700H Processor
Every M2 contains both a discrete GPU (dGPU) and an integrated GPU (iGPU). One can use the iGPU to maximize battery life or free up VRAM for GPU compute.
● dGPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/3070 Ti/3080 Ti GPU PCIe x 16 with RTX, CUDA, and cuDNN. Power consumption limit is 130/140/155 W, respectively with 15W Dynamic Boost 2.0.
● iGPU: Intel Iris Xe® 96 EU Graphics
● Up to 5 active displays
● Dual Channel DDR4 260-pin SoDIMM
● Expandable up to 64 GB
● 3200 MHz Maximum Clock
● 2 x M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4
● Samsung 3,500/2,700 MB/s Sequential Read/Write
● Over 5x faster than standard Evo 860 Pro SSD
● All aluminum alloy external surfaces
● Resin screen bezel
● 14.10 x 9.45 x .98 in (358 x 240 x 24 mm)
● 5.29 lb (2.40 kg) with battery
● User accessible components (storage, memory, Wi-Fi, fans) with standard Phillips case screws
● 80 Wh Embedded Polymer Battery Pack
● Up to 6.5 Hours Typical Use on iGPU with Medium-Low Display Brightness
● Up to 3.5 Hours Typical Use on dGPU with Medium-Low Display Brightness
● FlexiCharger Battery Optimization Available in BIOS
● 230 W Power Supply AC
● Multi-Color, Single Zone Full Size Keyboard, 4 mm travel
● User Configurable Intensity with Function Keys
● Kubuntu Super Key
● Numeric Keypad
|NETWORK AND BLUETOOTH|
● Built-in Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit/s)
● Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 + Bluetooth, M.2 2230 Card
● Synaptics-compatible Secure Clickpad with multi-gesture and scroll
● 4.75 x 2.875 in (121 x 73 mm)
● 2.0 MegaPixel FHD 1080p (1920 x 1080)
● Top-Center Mounted
● Integrated microphone array
● Physical Security Shutter
● Integrated Array Microphone with with TNR (Temporal Noise Reduction)
● 2 x 2 W Side-firing Speakers
● High Definition Audio
● S/PDIF Digital Output
● 1 x Thunderbolt 4 at 40 Gbit/s + USB-C (Does NOT support USB charging)
● 1 x HDMI Output Port (with HDCP)
● 1 x Mini DisplayPort 1.4
● 1 x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 with DisplayPort 1.4
● 2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 Ports (1 x Powered USB, AC/DC)
● 1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Microphone)
● 1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Microphone / S/PDIF Optical output)
● 1 x RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit/s)
● 1 x Kensington Lock
● 1 x DC-IN Power Connector
● 1 x Micro SD Push-Push Card Reader
|SLOTS AND EXPANSION|
● 3 x M.2 Card Slots
● Other Expansion Opportunities
● Two fans cool with heat pipes
● User selectable power profiles
● Logrithmic fan curve keeps unit silent when idle or under light use
● Kensington Lock Mount
● Optional No-Cost Full Disk Encryption
● Optional Pre-Configured YubiKey 5 NFC 2FA
● TPM 2.0 with BIOS clear option
● One- or Two-Year Limited Warranty with Unmatched Linux-first Support
|FEATURE||GEN 2||GEN 3||GEN 4|
|CPU||i7-10870H 5.0 GHz||i7-11800H 4.6 GHz||i7-12700H 4.7 GHz|
|dGPU||RTX 3080||RTX 3080||RTX 3080 Ti|
|iGPU||UHD-630||32 EU Iris||96 EU Iris|
|Display||1920x1080 FHD||1920x1080 FHD||2560x1440 QHD|
|WebCam||HD 1.0 MP 720p||HD 1.0 MP 720P||FHD 2.0 MP 1080P|
|SD Card Reader||Yes||No||Yes|
|Memory Speed||2933 MHz||3200 MHz||3200 MHz|
|Thunderbolt||40 Gbit/s v3||40 Gbit/s v4||40 Gbit/s v4|
|Overall Perf||Near-identical perf on AI Benchmarks, GPU Suite, Blender Render||20% Faster|
 165 Hz is supported with Nvidia GPU and MUX enabled in BIOS which is the most desired use case. Intel frame-buffer support support is expected later this year.
 See official comparison chart
 Kubuntu Focus M2, 2.4 kg, 24 mm thick
 Desktop GPU
 All benchmarks were run on AC power and in High Performance mode with desktop compositing disabled. Maximum GPU temperature was 73° C and maximum fan volume was 42 dB two feet from screen center.
 Results show average FPS/Score. If a separate score is not provided by the benchmark, then FPS alone is shown.