Like all Kubuntu Focus systems, the XE GEN 2 can save you time and hassle every day with optimized hardware, tested upgrades, curated apps, Focus Tools, HOWTOs designed for your system, and unmatched Linux-first support. See reviews from Arraybolt and BetaNews.
Enjoy an ultra-portable 14-inch laptop with exceptional performance, battery life, and attention to detail. Speed through demanding jobs and many open apps with impressive single- and multi-core performance, and handle big data with up to 64 GB of high-speed memory.
Charge through single- and multi-core tasks like you've never seen before with such a thin and light system. The Intel Core i7-1260P CPU has 12 cores and 16 threads and runs at a base frequency of 2.1 GHz with a max-boost clock of 4.7 GHz. Apps run noticeably faster thanks to outstanding single- and multi-core performance that is an astounding 15% and 60% faster than the prior generation CPU! 
The system provides hushed, cool performance and long battery life for all but the most demanding tasks, even though the CPU is set to use the highest-performance 28 W setting. Sleep-and-resume is nearly instantaneous thanks to the fast, dual-channel RAM.
The i5-1240P processor is also available with the same core and thread count as the i7-1260P, but has a lower boost clock (4.4 vs. 4.7 GHz), 6 MB less cache (12 vs. 18 MB), and 20% fewer GPU cores. We find the performance is still very impressive, and around 85-95% of the i7.
Iris Xe graphics are around 3x faster than 10th-generation Intel integrated graphics. Performance is excellent for development, DevOps, most content creation, and - with modest quality settings - even mid-level games like CS:GO, Team Fortress 2, or Minecraft. Dual-channel RAM is required for the best GPU performance.
If you need ultimate GPU capabilities for visualization, deep learning, or games, we recommend you plug in an eGPU - the system has been tested and configured for this purpose - or consider a system like the Focus M2. However, if your GPU needs are more modest, you should be very pleased with the built-in graphics on the XE GEN 2.
Enjoy simply beauty without sacrificing performance. The deck and lid are aluminum, and the bezel and bottom panel are made of a high-quality and durable resin. The large, centered touchpad is a joy to use, and the keyboard is sharp and responsive.
Whether you’re at home, at work, or on the road, connect how you want with the latest Wi-Fi, GigaBit Ethernet, and Bluetooth technologies. Communicating has never been faster or easier.
The Thunderbolt 4 port allows one to use high bandwidth peripherals that were previously impossible on a laptop. For example, add an eGPU enclosure to run deep learning or rendering tasks on an external GPU.
Connect multiple high-speed displays and peripherals at once without expensive dongles or docks. Two external 4K displays are simple to connect, with a 3rd possible using chaining. Harness the fastest and most reliable connections with the Gigabit Ethernet when you need it, and enjoy the convenience of high-speed, dual-band Wi-Fi 6 at your preference. Use the built-in multi-card reader to ready any of 6 different memory card formats.
Backlight your keys at 6 levels of intensity. Type quickly and accurately with reliable scissor mechanism with 4 mm of travel. Use 2 and 3-finger gestures on the spacious touchpad to tap, scroll, and coast effortlessly through documents.
We benchmark Focus systems extensively to optimize for compatibility and performance. We hope you find the results below helpful when assessing the capabilities of the XE GEN 2 and encourage you to compare the results with your device or others.
The Alder Lake P-cores provide some of the best single-core scores available in a laptop. As a result, apps load and run apps satisfyingly quickly.
The CPU uses the Intel 7 process, which is comparable to “TSMC 7 nm” and is quite efficient. Highly threaded tasks scale well thanks to a generous 18 MB Smart Cache (12 MB on the i5). If you need more performance, you might consider a mobile workstation like the M2 with more cores, threads, and thermal headroom.
The Iris Xe 96 EU iGPU provides excellent desktop performance and is even suitable for modest gaming at 1080p. It can drive easily three monitors at once with desktop effects enabled, and is 3 times faster than 10th-generation iGPU performance.
If you require more GPU power, the Focus team has tested and configured the OS to accommodate Nvidia eGPUs.
All benchmarks were run on AC power and in
High Performance mode. Compositing was disabled using the
SUPER+f12 shortcut. Maximum fan volume was 42dB two feet from screen center.
|Benchmark||XE Iris Graphics||M2 GEN 3 RTX 3060 Max-Q|
|Unigine Heaven 4|
|Unigine Heaven 4|
All benchmarks were run on AC power and in High Performance mode. Compositing was disabled using the
SUPER+f12 shortcut. Maximum fan volume was 48dB two feet from screen center.
Unigine Heaven Ultra settings include Ultra preset, 1080p, normal tessellation, and 8x anti-aliasing. Unigine Heaven Medium settings include Medium preset, 1080p, normal tessellation, and 2x anti-aliasing.
All results show average FPS and Score. If a separate score is not provided by the benchmark, then FPS alone is shown.
We try to provide all the details you need to decide if the XE GEN 2 is right for you. If you have any questions, please call 844-536-2871 or write TellMeMore@kfocus.org.
● 14.0” (356mm) Full-HD 60 Hz
● 1920 x 1080 Resolution
● LED Backlight
● Anti-Glare Coating (Matte)
● View angles of 89/89/89°
● Open angle of 140°
● Color > 90% sRGB and > 72% NTSC
● Max Brightness > 300cd/m²
● Max Contrast > 1200:1
● Connect up to 4 concurrent displays: three external and the laptop panel. A single 3840 x 2160 (4K) display at 30 Hz can connect to the HDMI 1.4b port. A single 3840 x 2160 (4K) display at 60 Hz can connect using the USB-C + DisplayPort 1.4a out. Alternately, two displays may be attached using the same USB-C port, but a daisy-chain capable monitor and cable are required.
12th Generation Intel Core i7-1260P
12th Generation Intel Core i5-1240P
i7-1260P Integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics
i5-1240P Integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics
Dual Channel DDR4-3200
1 x M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 4 x 4
● 5-20x Faster than Standard 870 SSD in Sequential Reads
● Aluminum top and keyboard deck
● Cool and light resin bottom and screen bezel
● 3.2 lb (1.45 kg) with battery
● 12.8 x 8.9 x .69 in (325 x 225 x 17.6 mm)
● User accessible components (storage, memory, wi-fi, fans) with 12 standard Phillips case screws
● 53 WHr Embedded 4 cells Smart Lithium-Ion battery pack
● Up To 10 Hours Modest Use with Medium-Low Display Brightness
● FlexiCharger Battery Optimization Available in BIOS
Full Range 90W AC Adapter
Power may optionally be provided through USB charging on Thunderbolt 4 port
Use FlexiCharger BIOS option to maximize battery life for laptops frequently plugged-in for long periods
● Single Zone White LED Backlight
● User Configurable Intensity with Function Keys
● Numpad Mode Available using FN key
● Kubuntu Super Key
Large, centered touchpad pad, configured with multi-finger gestures, coast, and scroll
|NETWORK AND BLUETOOTH|
● Built-in Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit/s)
● Intel ® Wi-Fi 6 AX 201X, M.2 2230 Card
● 1.0 MegaPixel HD 720p (1280 x 720)
● Top-Center Mounted
● Integrated microphone array
● Physical Security Shutter
● Integrated Array Microphone with Noise Suppression
● 2 x 2 W Speakers
● High Definition Analog Over 3.5mm 2-in-1 Audio Jack
● Digital Audio Over HDMI or DisplayPort
● 1 x Thunderbolt 4 USB-C 4.0 GEN 3x2 (DisplayPort 1.4a, Power Delivery DC-IN)
● 2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1
● 1 x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (no DisplayPort or DC-IN)
● 1 x HDMI 1.4b (with HDCP)
● 1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack - Headphone and Microphone
● 1 x RJ-45 Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit/s)
● 1 x Kensington Lock
● 1 x 6-in-1 Card Reader (MMC / RSMMC / SD / mini SD / SDHC / SDXC)
● 1 x DC-IN Power Connection
|SLOTS AND EXPANSION|
2 x M.2 Card Slots
Other Expansion Opportunities
Dual fans cool with heat pipes. Reduce power draw and fan noise by setting power level too low:
● Kensington Lock Mount
● Optional No-Cost Full Disk Encryption
● Optional Pre-Configured YubiKey 5 NFC 2FA
● Optional BIOS-Disabled TPM 2.0
One- to Three-Year Limited Warranty with Unmatched Linux-First Support